St. Theresa’s Home was established in 1935 by a congregation of religious sister, the Little Sisters of the Poor. They are known for their care of the sick and dying; providing them with housing, food, clothing, medical and related services.
The Little Sisters’ set-up a home at Derbyshire Road for twelve elderly residents before moving to the present home at Upper Thomson Road which was completed in 1939. The Sisters’ devoted themselves and worked tirelessly to care for the sick and elderly and ensured that those in their charge received comfort and peace in their golden years.
On 1st July 2003, Catholic Welfare Services, Singapore took over management of St. Theresa’s Home. Catholic Welfare Services is the action arm of the Catholic Church of Singapore – initiating, assisting, co-ordinating and carrying out social activities to alleviate poverty and distress among the people of Singapore, regarless of race or creed.
Today, St. Theresa’s Home is a voluntary welfare nursing home registered with the Ministry of Health; who provide subvention for the upkeep of the residents and facilities. St. Theresa’s is also a very much dependent on the generosity of our benefactors and members of the public for donations.
And our nursing and support staff endeavour to emulate the Little Sisters’ by giving their best in the care and support of all the residents at the home.